New or Replacement Roofing in Hertfordshire
While regular maintenance and repairs can prolong the life of a roof, there may come a time when a full refurbishment or replacement is necessary. Factors that can affect the lifespan of a roof include the quality of the original construction, the type of materials used, and the severity of weather conditions.
If the roof has been well-constructed and is made of high-quality materials, it can last for over 50 years. However, if there are multiple valleys formed, ridge tiles have cracked, or tiles or slates have slipped or have leaks, it may be time to consider a full refurbishment or replacement.
In such cases, it’s always better to consult with a professional roofing contractor to get a proper evaluation of the roof’s condition and determine the best course of action. It’s also worth to mention that the age of the roof is also an important factor, even if the roof is in good condition and hasn’t been damaged, after a certain period of time it will be necessary to replace it, as the weathering, UV and other factors can deteriorate the roofing material over time.
When looking for a roof repair or replacement service, it is important to take certain precautions to avoid falling victim to scams. The following are some steps you can take to ensure that you choose a reputable and reliable company:
- Conduct research: Before requesting a quote or estimate, make sure to research the company and ensure that they are experienced and reputable. Look for reviews and ratings on websites such as Checkatrade, Trusttrader and MyBuilder.
- Request an assessment: Ask the company to carry out an assessment of your roof before providing a work estimate or price quote. This will give you a better idea of the scope of the work needed and the cost involved.
- Choose a reliable company: There are many companies that may try to take advantage of you, so make sure to choose a genuine and reliable company. Look for companies that have a proven track record and positive customer reviews.
- Verification: As we are highly reliable and have a proven track record, we have excellent ratings on Checkatrade, Trusttrader, and MyBuilder.com. We raise an invoice and receive payments only when the work is complete. You can also check with our previous clients if you want to verify it yourself.
By following these steps, you can protect yourself from scams and ensure that you choose a reputable and reliable company for your roofing needs.
Steps involved in Roof Renewal
Roof renewal is a process of creating a new roof, typically involving the following steps:
- Scaffolding: The first step is to set up scaffolding to the level of the eaves. This is typically done by a professional scaffolding company, but you have the option to use a different company if you prefer.
- Removal of existing tiles: The existing ridge tiles and hip tiles, along with the mortars from the verges and ridges, are removed. If you wish to use the tiles again, you can, otherwise, they can be sold or disposed of.
- Removal of wooden battens: The existing wooden battens are removed and disposed of in a skip to be recycled.
- Inspection of wooden rafters and joists: The existing wooden rafters and joists are inspected, and any rotten ones are replaced. Any protruding nails are hammered or removed.
- Breathable membrane: A breathable membrane is added.
- Pressure-treated battens: Pressure-treated battens are added, ensuring the correct spacing.
- Roof ventilators: Roof ventilators are added to provision for a bathroom extractor fan.
- Creation of new valleys or joins: For placing the lead or GRP, new valleys, or joins between the roofs are created.
- Ridge tiles: The ridge tiles are bedded down using waterproof mortar and a dry ridge system.
- Scaffolding removal: The scaffolding is then removed, and the skip is removed, making the site clean.
This process may vary depending on the specific condition of the roof, but the general steps are similar. It’s always a good idea to consult with a professional roofer to evaluate the condition of your roof and determine the best course of action.
Call or Email Us Today
Want to replace your old roof?